Tuesday, February 19, 2013

From the Toriana Sketchbook

I've always sketched or painted characters, objects, settings and other elements from the novels I write; often this helps me translate something imagined more fully into story reality. This is an important part of my process, particularly when it's something I've coined or invented. I've dreamed up so much to build the Toriana universe that I'm on my fourth sketchbook now.

In the months ahead I'd like to share some of those sketches and paintings with you. If you'll forgive me in advance for being a painfully average artist, I think it'll be fun to show you some of Toriana through my eyes.

Without further to-do, here's one of the first gadgets I invented for Her Ladyship's Curse(click on image to see a larger version):



The BrewsMaid is an automated tea maker used by common people and heated by steam piped from a building's boiler and circulated through a steam dog (a kind of hot plate/burner.) It has two valves; one to access the boiler feed pipe and the other to regulate the flow through the steam dog to adjust the temperature from boiling (to make tea) to warming (to keep the kettle hot.) Fill the kettle, suspend the heart-shaped infuser inside, switch it on by adjusting the valves, and in a few minutes your brew is made (and no, I couldn't resist the pun.)

6 comments:

  1. You take that back missy! Painfully average artist my foot! I think that drawing is fabulous, it shows the function of the device but makes it feel alive, attractive & desireable. I keep expecting the dog to get up and walk off, wagging his on/off switch in a jaunty manner. I want one ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel my head inflating already, thank you. I love tea, and reinventing the kettle to fit Toriana was a little adventure. I wish I worked in metal so I could make up a real one, but my guy won't let me near his welding torches . . . probably a good idea. ;)

      Delete
  2. Amongst your other skills, now you're an inventor!?

    I love the BrewsMaid sketch; the details, even the design on the teapot, and especially the steam dog. Nothing average about it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never imagined I'd ever invent something until one day I realized I do it all the time in my stories. These last couple of years I've been acting on a few of my ideas, sometimes with laughable results. But every now and then I come up with something interesting . . .

      Delete
  3. I want one, and I don't even like tea. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about the BrewsMaid is you can brew anything in it: tea, coffee, hot chocolate -- whatever you can put in the teaheart infuser will work. Maybe even chicken and veggies to make stock. :)

      Delete