Saturday, March 23, 2013

Forthcoming

Next week at Disenchanted & Co.:

I've started an online virtual library of the many wonderful books I'm collecting in Her Ladyship's book room, and I thought it would be fun to talk about some of my recent acquisitions. To kick off this feature, I'll be discussing Wayne Erbsen's hilarious but true Manners & Morals of Victorian America, a delightful collection of actual quotations, passages and other excerpts from publications of the period that cover everything from Advice for Young Ladies to Woman Suffrage. We'll also talk about some of do's and don't of proper Toriana etiquette.

I've also got a post planned on a subject near and dear to Her Ladyship's heart: Toriana fashions. I'll explore what designing a wardrobe for every character demanded, and what guided my choices while creating some entirely new fashions for my universe. Along with some details on who wears what and why, we'll take another peek inside Her Ladyship's Sketch Book to see an actual outfit I designed for one of my characters.

Do stop by if you get a chance, and in the meantime have a great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. I have that book and love it.

    I'm really enjoying all of these posts. They're giving me great insight into how you work. No wonder your worlds are so rich. I need to do much more along these lines with my own stories. Maybe they wouldn't be so sparse that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think nattering on about inspiration can be a bit boring -- but then I remember I'm talking to other writers and book lovers who are possibly just as nutty as me. :)

      Delete
  2. I am sooo looking forward to this. I've been working on projects in this area and am always looking for books.

    Actually, my current project (annotating Christie's Styles book) has got me into the Edwardian and World War I era as well. In the servants area, there's Stanley Ager's "The Butler’s Guide. He worked as a butler, and this book contains cool bits such as how a house prepares to receive the queen, and what servants do to passive-aggress obnoxious guests
    (such as fiddle with their clothes so the seams burst open weeks later).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will endeavor to write a thorough review, then -- thanks for stopping in.

      I also picked up a copy of Stanley's book, Bill -- it's fascinating reading. Next on my list is Mrs. Robinson's Disgrace, the private diary of a Victorian lady by Kate Summerscale. It's touted as a true-life Madame Bovary.

      Delete