Monday, September 30, 2013

News

The folks at MegaCon 2014 have assigned us the spot for the Disenchanted & Co. booth, which will be #81. It's the first booth you'll see as you enter through what I believe is the south Main Entrance, but here's the booth marked on the floorplan map so you can find it:



The booth will feature my signed books, jewelry, artworks, my 1K cards project on display, and other fun items related to my work for purchase, as well as some giveaway and reader events on each day of the con (these are still in the planning stages, but I'll have more details as the date draws closer and we finalize things.) Alaires (aka my kid), my cover artist for My Lord Mayhem, Forget-Me-Knot and the steampunk chibis I've been giving away here and on the writing blog, will also be exhibiting her own art with original works and prints available for purchase. She's also planning to do some live drawings on commission at the con, and since her work is terrific and her rates are quite reasonable I think she'll be in high demand.

Sales for Her Ladyship have been good, and I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to help me spread the word. That said, sales could be better, and at this point the numbers will decide whether or not the Disenchanted & Co. series continues. I've done what I can, and so have the wonderful folks at PocketStar, so now the fate of the series is really in your hands. If you enjoy the books and would like me to keep writing Kit's adventures, please let other readers know about the series. You may think that one person can't make a difference, but you can, as honest reader-to-reader recommendations are still the best advertising in the world.

An update on the hidden embroidery I found inside two quilted pillowcovers I bought last Spring: I successfully (and carefully) recovered both panels, which I'm now making into totes. Here's the first panel, which I framed in velvet-flocked faux chocolate leather:



After I embellish the tote (still working out how I want to do that) I'll post another pic so you can see the finished project.

Finally, about the holiday collaborative project I mentioned at the beginning of September -- I sorted through everything I have for the e-book, and it's already a huge pile of stuff, so size is going to be an issue. Also, time is also becoming a factor; we're already into October and I don't want to distract anyone planning to participate in NaNoWriMo. What I've decided to do this year is just put together what content I have and release it for free as my holiday gift to you. If all goes well with the series, maybe next year we can get together a little earlier and do a group book.

That's all the news for now, but if you have any questions you'd like me to answer, please post them in comments.

8 comments:

  1. The tote is beautiful.
    Are you going to be in costume at your booth? Any hints on what you'll be wearing? I vote for a smashing Victorian hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I will be able to make a personal appearance at the booth, but that now depends on if the series will be continuing, which I really won't know until next year right before the con. If I do, I will probably wear something suitably steampunkish. :)

      Delete
  2. March, huh? I might just have to try to get there :D

    That tote is gorgeous! The colors are really vibrant. And I'm glad to hear that Her Ladyship's sales are going well, but I think since it's a bit outside your norm, it will just take a bit of time. I do hope they're good enough to continue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orlando is beautiful in the springtime. :)

      Thanks for the kind words for the tote. I love these embroidered panels -- and the chocolate-brown background fabric inspired the choice of the flocked faux leather as sashing. I'm still deciding if I want to do beaded or metal embellishments; I'm tempted to try integrating some gears and watch parts around the seams.

      Delete
  3. Lynn that tote is absolutely gorgeous just the way it is. That panel was a real find. I'm feeling all jealous that I can't get to Orlando, but I'm afraid mortgage & bills come before such pleasures - sigh ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bills are a real pain that way, aren't they? But don't worry, I'll be having some pre-convention giveaways and events here at the blog after the holidays. :)

      Delete
  4. Ack - did I miss a call for content for that project? I've been watching but haven't seen anything. I'd ask if it's too late to contribute, but it sounds like you've got more than plenty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put up a post earlier asking for thoughts, Blue, but with the way my year is wrapping up I personally just don't have time to coordinate such a project. If the series continues next year I will definitely try to get a group project in the works (and start calling for contributions much earlier, too!)

      Delete