Wonderful books are a huge joy in my life, for which I will always be grateful. I've also been very fortunate to have met a few generous authors who in various ways over the years have provided me with guidance and motivation. A writer who brings both into your life is marvelous; to call that soul a friend means you are truly blessed.
For me that particular blessing is Sofie Kelly, New York Times bestselling author of the Magical Cats mystery series. Sofie has been a constant source of encouragement and understanding in my writing life, and a very patient and dear friend in real life. The fact that she also happens to be a natural, beautiful storyteller is but frosting on the cake. I think we all want to be friends with people we admire, who just by being in the world inspire and energize us. Sofie is all that, and so much more.
I talked Sofie into letting us steampunk her for November, so here's my interview with her:
1. The world wants to bring back one person, place or thing from the Victorian era. It can be anything, but whatever it is will be made a permanent part of our reality. Who or what do you pick to bring back?
Natural dyes to replace synthetic ones. The Victorian era was when we began to use synthetic dyes. Natural dyes are kinder to the environment and the colors are richer and more vivid than anything created in a test tube. Personally, corsets. I have not so great posture and the one time I tried on a corset--at a fashion show I was emceeing--I was forced to stand up straight. It made me taller.
2. A secret guild of steam-powered gadget inventors needs to borrow your garage for a month. In return for the work space they offer to make something special for you. What gadget do you want them to invent, and why?
A mechanical, steam-powered elephant. I live in a cold and snowy part of the world. There's no way a mechanical elephant would get stuck in a snow drift and I'd never have to worry about someone parking too close to me necessitating that I get in the passenger side and climb over to the driver's seat. Which now that I think about it, would not have been easy to do in a corset.
3. We know how fond you are of fictional felines, especially the stray variety. Tell us some of the things that you wish people would do to help homeless cats in the real world.
Please don't increase the population. Have your cat spayed or neutered and if you can't take care of your cat for any reason, take it to an animal shelter. Please don't abandon it.
4. If you could spend a weekend writing retreat with three deceased authors (we're going to bring them back to life for you), who would you choose to hang out with, and what would you want to work on?
Shakespeare, Agatha Christie and Kurt Vonnegut. I'd want to work on either a stage play or a screenplay.
5. We want to know you have planned for your readers in 2014, but our internet service is down and our crystal ball is in the repair shop. Can you tell us what to expect next year from Sofie Kelly, and any of your other pseudonyms?
Sofie Kelly will have another Magical Cats book out in 2014, tentatively titled, A Midwinter's Tail. I'm also taking on another identity. As Sofie Ryan, the first book in my new Second Chance Cat mystery series, The Whole Cat and Caboodle, will debut April 1st. (No, that's not a joke.) It has a cat, three senior ladies who think of themselves as Charlie's Angels, a melodramatic teenager, a geriatric computer hacker, a hunky investigator for the medical examiner's office and the owner of a repurpose store who tries to keep them all out of trouble. It's not as complicated as it sounds.
While we're waiting for Sofie's next novel to hit the shelves I thought it would be fun to have a magical cats giveaway, and here's what I have for one of you:
This giveaway includes:
Unsigned copies of all five of Sofie Kelly's Magical Cats mysteries: Curiosity Thrilled the Cat, Sleight of Paw, Copycat Killing, Cat Trick and Final Catcall
The Scheherazade Storytelling Game by Levenger
Tne Writer's Lab by Sexton Burke
Mochi Mochi by Anna Hrachovec
Birds on a Wire photo hangers
What Cats Teach Us 2014 calendar
An Asian Happy Cat tote from BAM
If you'd like to win it all, in comments to this post name someone you consider a blessing in your life by midnight EST on Friday, November 29th, 2013. I'll draw one name at random from everyone who participates and send the winner the tote packed with all the books and goodies. This giveaway is open to everyone on the planet, so please join in.