Friday, April 18, 2014

What You'd Be Wearing (in 1898)

I recently acquired some new additions to my Victorian American papers collection; a nice assortment of magazine pages showing the current fashions for ladies. So if you were out shopping for a new outfit 116 years ago, this is what you could buy:







Your little girl could also get these then-new styles:



And if you were worried about how or even if you'd fit into all those wasp-waisted dresses, you could first clamp yourself with this fashionable iron maiden:



I don't know about you, but I'm kind of glad I was born on this side of the turn of the century. :)

(All of the above pages were purchased as part of a vintage paper bundle from Jessica at LovelyFever on Etsy.com)

2 comments:

  1. I so agree with you about those waists. It hurts just to look at them. And as for the dress with all those flounces, I'd look ridiculous in it as I'm short & fat, ok plump! I'd need to be 7 feet tall to make that dress look good on me. Still the pictures are lovely and so elegant. How did they breathe?

    ReplyDelete